Jacob C. Gonzales is a shareholder with Weintraub Tobin and a member of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. He is an experienced and respected trial attorney with expertise in a broad variety of complex legal issues. Jacob has a statewide reputation for vigorous and successful representation on both the trial and appellate levels, a reputation built by achieving stellar results for his clients.
- In 2015, he was successful in dismissing at the pleading stage a derivative lawsuit brought by investors on behalf of a real estate fund seeking in excess of $100 million.
- In 2015, he was successful in dismissing at the pleading stage over half of the 36 causes of action asserted in two related lawsuits brought by hundreds of investors in a real estate fund and separate tenant-in-common interests seeking in excess of $200 million in damages, including breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract. Shortly thereafter, one of the cases settled.
- In 2014, he was co-counsel on a six week jury trial where Plaintiff sought to collect $60 million on a personal guaranty of a land development loan, and successfully defended the case so that Plaintiff was only awarded 20% of the amount it sought.
- In 2013, he was counsel on an appeal resulting in a landmark California Court of Appeal decision in the matter of Acquire II, LTD. v. Colton Real Estate Group (2013) 213 Cal.App.4th 959, overturning the trial court’s ruling and enforcing multiple arbitration agreements.
- In 2013, he settled a breach of guaranty action for less than $4 million where the lender sought in excess of $130 million.
- In 2012, he obtained an arbitration award on two separate actions for specific performance enforcing agreements to sell tenant-in-common investments concerning Orange County real estate funds.
- In 2011, he settled a breach of guaranty claim for less than $210,000 where the lender was seeking to collect in excess of $18.5 million.
- In 2010, as lead trial counsel, he obtained an 11-1 defense jury verdict on a breach of guaranty action where the plaintiff was attempting to collect in excess of $7.7 million. His client also received a significant attorneys’ fee award.
- In 2009, as co-trial counsel, he obtained a $2.3 million Plaintiff’s jury verdict on a breach of a commercial real estate lease.
Jacob is an Orange County native, and a graduate of Mater Dei High School.
Jacob has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as a “Rising Star”- an honor reserved for the top 2.5% of lawyers in Southern California.