Alan L. Grodin
Alan L. Grodin is a shareholder whose practice primarily focuses on motion picture and television clients, and he has extensive experience in connection with the financing, production, distribution and acquisition of motion pictures as well as the development, production and licensing of television programs.
His clients include directors, writers, producers and financiers of motion picture and television programs. He represents his clients from the initial stage of rights acquisition through the assembly of the production elements and the financing, production and licensing of their projects in the United States as well as Asia, Europe and Africa. With significant experience in the music industry, Alan has also represented recording companies, recording artists, music publishers, songwriters and composers.
Recent significant activities include:
- Negotiation of multiple high-profile writer, showrunner agreements on behalf of a European-based television production and distribution company.
- Negotiation of writer and director’s agreements for services on multiple major feature films budgeted in excess of $100 million.
- Representation of a major Asian star/director in connection with co-financing and worldwide distribution of Chinese language high budget productions.
- Representation of a Chinese public company in connection with the production and financing of a new high budget Chinese feature film.
- Negotiation of the first international feature film co-production between a major U.S. studio and a Chinese-based company.
- Representation of a client in connection with the development of a film studio in Capetown, South Africa.
- Negotiation of a major independent record label distribution agreement.
- Negotiation of film distribution rights between major Russian producers/directors and US studios.
- Negotiation of worldwide license arrangements for a catalogue of classic television programs.
- Representation of a major Indian bank in connection with a motion picture production financing loan.
State Bar of California,
Los Angeles County Bar Association
American Bar Association
Pennsylvania State University, College of Communications
Board of Visitors
L.L.B., New York University, 1967
B.S., Pennsylvania State University, 1964
Federation Entertainment Partners with Paramount TV
Weintraub Tobin Shareholder Alan L. Grodin would like to congratulate client, Federation Entertainment, on completing their first-look agreement with Paramount Television. Federation Entertainment will partner up with Paramount TV to co-produce and co-distribute content “with a focus to collaborate with the best talents on formats worldwide,” as described by Pascal Breton.
Weintraub client elected to International Olympic Committee
Weintraub client, Anant Singh, was recently elected to the International Olympic Committee. Alan Grodin, Singh’s longtime attorney and close friend, says “Anant is an outstanding member of the international community, and will serve the IOC well.” Singh is the pre-eminent South African film producer known for over 80 films including Nelson Mandela’s autobiographical film Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom.
Weintraub Clients and YouTube Sensation, Anthony Padilla and Ian Hecox of Smosh Fame, Will Premiere Movie in July at VidCon
Weintraub Tobin client, Anthony Padilla and Ian Hecox of Smosh fame were featured in a Variety article announcing the premier of, “Smosh: The Movie.” Shareholder Scott Hervey represented Ian and Anthony and executive producer Barry Blumberg in their deals.
Weintraub Tobin Raises Money for American Heart Association
Heart Walk Logo For a third year in a row, Weintraub Tobin is working to raise funds for cardiovascular diseases and stroke by partaking in the American Heart Association Heart Walk on Saturday,
Weintraub Tobin Client David Mamet Receives his First Emmy Nod
Mamet Weintraub Tobin is proud to announce that our client David Mamet, who wrote and directed HBO’s “Phil Spector,” recently received two Emmy nominations, including Best Writing and Best Direction. This is the first Emmy nomination for the playwright.
Weintraub Tobin Client Tracy Letts Wins Tony Award
Weintraub Tobin Chediak Coleman Grodin Law Corporation is proud to announce that our client Tracy Letts has won a 2013 Tony Award for his role in “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” Letts took home the award Sunday for best performance by an actor in a play for his portrayal of George in Edward Albee’s famous play.
Legendary and the Dowdle Brothers to Make Low Budget Thriller (Variety)
Dowdle Brothers Weintraub clients John and Drew Dowdle will co-write the upcoming microbudget thriller: “As Above, So Below” for Legendary Pictures. According to Variety, the film will be set in the catacombs beneath Paris where two archeologists look for hidden treasure.
Variety Cover Story: Lionsgate, Liman take on “Time & Again.”
Attorney Alan Grodin is named in Variety’s cover story about his client Doug Liman. To read the full story, visit www.variety.com. Article published on July 25, 2012.
3 Cities. Over 70 Lawyers. Now 1 Great Law Firm: Weintraub Merges with LA Entertainment Law Firm
SACRAMENTO / SAN FRANCISCO / LOS ANGELES, July 6, 2012 – Weintraub Genshlea Chediak Tobin & Tobin Law Corporation and Weissmann Wolff Bergman Coleman Grodin LLP have jointly announced the merger of their respective business and entertainment law firms.