Independent Contractor v. Employee – ”Saying It’s So, Doesn’t Make it So”
July 17 2014
Summary of Webinar
The risks involved in misclassifying a worker as an independent contractor rather than an employee have always been serious. A number of federal and state agencies regulate the proper classification of workers and have the authority to impose significant monetary and non-monetary sanctions against employers who get the classification wrong.
This informative webinar will cover the legal landscape of independent contractor status. Topics will include:
- A summary of the various tests applied by federal and state agencies to determine independent contractor status;
- A summary of the enforcement authority of various federal and state agencies and the sanctions they may impose on employers;
- The due diligence employers must engage in before classifying a worker as an independent contractor;
- The federal Department of Labor’s $25 million “Misclassification Initiative” designed to work closely with state agencies to investigate misclassifications and take enforcement action; and
- California’s law imposing monetary and non-monetary sanctions against employers (and certain individuals) who willfully misclassify workers as independent contractors.
If you or your company is currently using independent contractors, this is a webinar you cannot afford to miss. Register today!
9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
MCLE & HRCI credits available upon request. Certificates will be provided upon verification of attendance for the entirety of the webcast.
400 Capitol Mall, 11th Fl.
Sacramento, CA 95814
To RSVP, Complete The Form Below