Webinar: Avoiding the Bully Pulpit – Best Practices for Creating an Inclusive Workplace Free of Bullying and Intimidation
September 10 2021
Federal and state OSHA laws require California employers to prevent and respond to violence in the workplace. Federal and state EEO laws require California employers to prevent and respond to harassment and discrimination in the workplace. But what about bullying? What is it? Are employers responsible for preventing it? Is there a law against it? What should employers know and what should they do to avoid bullying in the workplace?
Join Weintraub Tobin employment attorneys, Lizbeth (“Beth”) West and Ryan Abernethy for this October 6th webinar where they will provide an overview of an employer’s obligation to ensure a workplace free from violence, harassment, and discrimination under federal and state laws, and also discuss some best practices for recognizing and preventing bullying or “abusive conduct” in the workplace, and promoting respect and inclusion.
- The employer’s obligation to prevent and respond to violence in the workplace under federal and state OSHA laws.
- Recognizing some warning signs that indicate an employee may be capable of violence and how to respond.
- The employer’s obligation to prevent and respond to harassment and discrimination under federal and state EEO laws.
- The employer’s obligation under California law to train employees about what “abusive conduct” (or bullying) is and how to prevent it.
- An overview of explicit and unconscious bias and how it can impact conduct in the workplace.
- A discussion of how cultural awareness and respect for individual differences can reduce bullying in the workplace.
- Some best practices for supervisors to recognize and respond to bullying in the workplace.
- An overview of some unique COVID-19 issues that may create concerns of bullying and what Cal/OSHA and other governmental agencies may expect employers to do to prevent it.
Approved for one (1.5) hours MCLE. This program will be submitted to the HR Certification Institute for review. Certificates will be provided upon verification of attendance for the entirety of the webcast.