Webinar – The Leave Law Matrix Continues to Expand: Understanding Federal, State, and Local Leave Laws and How They Overlap and/or Differ
May 5 2021
Summary of Program
Administering leaves of absence in California has never been easy. An employer has to first understand which statutory leaves apply to its workplace, then ensure that it not only has proper policies in place, but that it legally administers the various leaves. Unfortunately, based on recent legislation and some other regulatory developments, the obligation has gotten even harder.
Join Weintraub Tobin’s employment law partners, Lizbeth (“Beth”) West and Lukas Clary, as they discuss the complex statutory and regulatory scheme of leave laws under federal and state law. They will provide an overview of the laws, explain who is eligible and under what circumstances, and highlight the particular rights and obligations for both employers and employees.
- A summary of federal and state statutory leave laws
- Including the BIG ONES like family medical leave, pregnancy disability leave, sick leave, and military leave; and
- The many others like organ/bone marrow donation leave, domestic violence/sexual assault victim leave, school appearance leave, school/childcare activities leave, civil air patrol leave, emergency personnel leave, and military spouse leave.
- The recent legislative expansion to the California Family Rights Act (“CFRA”).
- Overview of the temporary COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave statute.
- The difference between “statutory leaves” and “wage replacement benefits.”
- A discussion of when and how the various laws can overlap.
- The importance of understanding employee eligibility and properly designating leaves of absence.
- Effective documentation for administering leaves and accommodations.
Date & Time:
Wednesday, May 5, 2021
9:30 AM – 11:30 AM PDT
Approved for two (2) hours MCLE. This program will be submitted to the HR Certification Institute for review. Certificates will be provided upon verification of attendance for the entirety of the webcast.
To register please click here. Your email confirmation will provide information on joining the webinar.