Eric Caligiuri advises domestic and international clients through complex intellectual property disputes. Mr. Caligiuri’s practice focuses on patent and trade secret litigation in federal district courts, California state courts, and before the International Trade Commission (ITC). He has experience representing companies in a wide range of fields, including semiconductor products and processes, mobile device components and applications, networking, and systems-on-a-chip (SoC’s). Mr. Caligiuri also has experience handling employment and commercial litigation matters. Mr. Caligiuri is admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and has experience with patent and trademark prosecution. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Caligiuri worked as an engineer.
- Representation of respondent Entropic Communications in a four-patent ITC investigation concerning set-top boxes, gateways, and in-home networking. Obtained complete dismissal of the ITC investigation during fact discovery. Certain Set-Top Boxes, Gateways, Bridges, And Adapters And Components Thereof.
- Representation of respondent Samsung entities in a six-patent ITC investigation concerning smartphones, smart TVs, and applications relating to sharing media and location-based services. Representation lasted from institution through the post-hearing proceedings, during which the Commission determined that Samsung did not infringe any asserted claim, and that several of the asserted claims are invalid. Certain Digital Media Devices, Including Televisions, Blu-Ray Disc Players, Home Theater Systems, Tablets, And Mobile Phones, Components Thereof, And Associated Software.
- Representation of plaintiff and complainant Peregrine Semiconductor in a multi-patent litigation involving radio frequency switch devices in matters brought in the ITC and the Southern District of California. Assisted in securing a favorable settlement for Peregrine. Certain Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits and Devices Containing Same and Peregrine Semiconductor v. RF Micro Devices (S.D. Cal).
- Representation of defendant Texas Instruments in a patent infringement action involving systems-on-a-chip in the District of Delaware. Won summary judgment of non-infringement on the majority of claims and a stipulation of non-infringement under the court’s claim construction for the remaining claims. Ruling affirmed by the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals. Cradle IP, LLC v. Texas Instruments Incorporated (D. Del).
- Representation of plaintiff Entropic Communications in patent litigation involving three standard essential Multimedia Over Coax Alliance (MoCA) patents in the Southern District of California. Entropic Communications, Inc. v. ViXS Systems, Inc. (S.D. Cal.).
- Representation of defendant Entropic Communications in a five patent litigation involving automatic content recognition hardware and software brought in the Eastern District of Texas. Secured favorable dismissal without prejudice during fact discovery. Blue Spike, LLC v. Entropic Communications, Inc. (E.D. Tex).
- Representation of plaintiff Silicon Storage Technology in patent litigation relating to process technology for memory devices in the Northern District of California. Silicon Storage Technology, Inc. v. Telefunken Semiconductors (N.D. Cal.).
- Representation of plaintiff and counter-defendant Invenger Technologies in a trade secret matter in the Central District of California involving mobile payment technology. Invenger Technologies, Inc. v. Enservio, Inc. (C.D. Cal.).
- Representation of plaintiff Weiland Sliding Doors and Windows in multi-patent infringement action in S. D. Cal. involving mechanical device hardware. Weiland Sliding Doors and Windows, Inc. v. Panda Windows and Doors, LLC (S.D. Cal.).
- Provide trademark guidance and prosecution for clients.
Litigation associate at large national and international law firms (2008-2015)
Publications and Speeches
“The EEOC’s Final Regulations Under the ADAAA: How These Changes Will Affect Internal Policies and Procedures of Municipalities and Other Employers,” Municipal Lawyer Magazine (November/December 2011), Author