Upcoming Seminar: The Complex Web of Leaves and Accomodation Laws – SF
Published: July 13, 2012
Summary of Program
Employers continue to grapple with this very difficult area of employment law. It is not enough to focus on just one law when an employee is unable to work or is absent from the workplace due to some medical condition or injury suffered by the employee or his or her family member. Instead, employers need to understand and comply with how the courts, and various federal and state regulatory agencies, are interpreting the interplay between a number of laws like the FMLA/CFRA, ADA/FEHA, PDL, USERRA, and workers’ compensation. This seminar is designed to help employers and HR professionals understand this complex interplay and to provide some practical guidance on administering leaves and absences.
Some of the topics to be discussed include:
- What Does Each Law Provide: A Summary of the Statutes.
- A Discussion of the Difference Between “Statutory Leaves” and “Wage Replacement Benefits.”
- Determining Under What Circumstances the Statutory Leaves and/or Wage Replacement Benefits May Overlap and How to Evaluate and Determine the Employee’s Entitlements and the Employer’s Obligations Under Each Law.
- The Importance of Engaging in the “Interactive Process.”
- What are the Courts saying? Recent case law.
- Effective Documentation: Policies, Leave Administration Documents, and Medical Certifications.
Thursday, August 9, 2012
8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Registration and Breakfast
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Le Meridien Hotel
333 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
*This program is also available via Webinar on August 23. Please indicate when you RSVP.
There is no charge for this seminar.
Approved for 3 hours MCLE Credit;
HRCI credits available upon request
Weintraub Tobin Chediak Coleman Grodin
400 Capitol Mall, 11th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814