The World of Accommodations: Disabled Employees and Customers
Published: November 20, 2014
Summary of Program
Most business owners know that customers and employees may need to be accommodated from time to time for various reasons. Often this is beacuse of an employee’s disability, medical condition or a condition present on property owned by the business and open to the public. It is important for business owners to understand and comply with how the courts and various federal and state regulatory agencies define accommodations, as well as learn what business owners’ rights and obligations are regarding: (1) engaging in the interactive process; (2) providing reasonable accommodations; and (3) removing barriers to access.
This informative seminar will cover the many accommodations business owners, employers and HR Professionals may be forced to consider, who should be accommodated, and how to engage in an interactive process to determine an appropriate accommodation. Topics will include:
- How to Determine Who is Entitled to an Accommodation;
- How to Engage in the Interactive Process and How to Know When to Initiate the Initial Discussion;
- The Various Protected Classes and/or Activities Entitling an Employee to an Accommodation—including things like disability, religion, and illiteracy, to name a few;
- Service Animals in the Workplace;
- How to Effectively Document the Accommodation; and
- Recent Developments in Accommodation Law.
- A primer on Title II “Public Accommodation” Liability
- Disabled Access Cases
- ADA Mills Are Still Active
- How Alterations to Your Property May Affect Your Obligations Under the ADA
- It’s Not Just the ADA
9:00 a.m. Registration and Breakfast
9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Seminar
This seminar is also available via webinar. Please indicate in your RSVP if you will be attending via webinar.
If attending via webinar, MCLE credit will be provided upon verification of attendance for the entirety of the webcast.
Approved for 2 hours MCLE credit. This program has been submitted to the HR Certification Institute for review.
There is no charge for this seminar.
400 Capitol Mall, 11th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
916.558.6046 | [email protected]
View flyer here.