C. Kevin Kelso
Kevin is a shareholder in the firm’s Corporate and Intellectual Property groups, practicing primarily in the areas of business, corporate, and securities. Kevin has over 30 years of experience working with both private and public companies in a wide variety of industries such as biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, consumer and business software, telecommunications, internet software and services, and information technology. He has worked with companies of all sizes, ranging from start-up companies to industry-leading publicly traded companies.
Kevin began practicing in Northern California after serving as a law clerk for two years in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, for the Honorable Anthony M. Kennedy, now a Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. He joined the firm after more than 22 years at two of the major Bay Area/Silicon Valley based law firms, where he worked with technology, emerging companies, venture capital firm , investors, and entrepreneurs.
Kevin has represented many private companies and venture capital investors in numerous equity and debt financing transactions, ranging from angel financings and early stage financings to later stage venture capital financing, initial public offerings and PIPE financings for public companies. His practice includes start-up company representation and financing, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, and advising companies regarding federal and state corporate and securities matters such as Sarbanes-Oxley Act compliance. He also regularly advises his clients concerning general corporate matters such as employment matters, equity incentive plans, financing strategies, licensing transactions and corporate governance. He has represented companies in negotiating a variety of commercial agreements such as patent licenses, software licenses, distribution and marketing agreements, manufacturing agreements, and joint venture agreements. He regularly prepares and advises companies regarding SEC filings such as Form 10-Ks, Form 10-Qs and proxy statements. He has represented several companies in their initial public offerings in a variety of industries ranging from consumer and business software, to pharmaceuticals and steel manufacturing.
During law school, Kevin was Supreme Court Editor of the Harvard Law Review. He served for many years on the Corporations Committee of the State Bar of California, was Vice Chair for Legislation during 1995-1996 and was Co-Chair of the Committee during 1996-1997. He also served on the Executive Committee of the Business Law Section of the State Bar of California.
Kevin is the author of several articles on a variety of subjects, including the CEB Action Guide on “Securities Transactions Deadlines,” and was a contributor to the Corporations Committee’s Blue Sky Guide. He has been a speaker at many education programs, including the Practicing Law Institute program in California on recent corporate developments and events sponsored by UC Davis Innovation Access, Golden Capital Network, and other organizations in the Sacramento area.
- Representation of public pharmaceuticals company in $25 million underwritten public offering and NASDAQ Capital Marketing listing.
- Representation of major publicly traded software company in acquisitions of two private companies ($140 million and $20+ million).
- Representation of a public company in reverse merger transactions and related SEC registration statement and proxy statement.
- Representation of specialty pharmaceutical company in $25 million underwritten public offering.
- Representation of life science company in sale of patents and intellectual property assets relating to drug products ($9 million).
- Representation of public company in $2 million secured convertible debt and equity PIPE financing transaction.
- Representation of public company in $10 million equity financing.
- Representation of life science company in $10 million acquisition of intellectual property assets.
- Representation of public software company in sale of web hosting business and related assets ($3.2 million).
- Representation of private telecommunications company in $25+ million later stage venture capital funding.
- Representation of company providing EPA and FDA regulated chemical products in manufacturing and distribution agreements.
- Representation of private biotechnology company in angel and venture capital equity and debt financings ($3 million), patent sublicense agreement and agreements with university technology transfer office.
- Representation of pharmaceuticals company in initial public offering, $13+ million follow-on offering and over $40 million of additional equity financing in private placement and PIPE transactions.
- Representation of large industry-leading public internet-based software and services company in several multi-million dollar acquisition transactions.
- Representation of NASDAQ National Market network and internet equipment and services company in acquisition of three private software companies ($20 million, $27 million, and $1.9 million)
- Representation of financial services company in its approximately $70 million initial public offering.
- Representation of commercial software company in unwritten initial public offering.
- Representation of life science company in exclusive license agreement to market a drug product (including a $15+ million up-front payment).
- Representation of public company in acquisition of foreign private life science company ($4 million).
- Representation of venture capital fund in over 30 multi-million dollar later stage venture capital investments in technology companies.
- Representation of hospitality industry software and services company in multiple venture capital equity financing rounds.
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in license and distribution agreements for foreign commercialization of drug products.
- Representation of public U.S. company in merger with public Canadian company ($50+ million).
- Representation of public company in option exchange/reprising program for employees, and related SEC filings.
- Representation of companies and executives regarding employment agreements, incentive compensation agreements, and severance and separation arrangements.
- Representation of private software and technology company in acquisition by Cisco Systems.
- Representation of several companies in negotiations with university technology transfer offices and technology license agreements with universities.
- Representation of several companies in negotiation product evaluation and development agreements and material transfer agreements with major life science and drug companies.
- Representation of private educational and learning software company in acquisition of learning software company and related $5 million venture capital financing.
State Bar of California, Business Law Section,
Sacramento County Bar Association, Business Law Section
Meritas Law Firms Worldwide
Northern California Super Lawyers, 2017- 2020
Sacramento Magazine’s Top Lawyers List, 2018-2020 – Securities & Corporate Finance
AV® Preeminent™ Rating, Martindale-Hubbell®
J.D., magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1978
B.A., summa cum laude, University of Illinois, 1975
21 Weintraub Tobin Attorneys Included in Sacramento Magazine’s 2020 Top Lawyers List
Sacramento, CA – Weintraub is pleased to announce that 21 Firm attorneys have been recognized as 2020 Top Lawyers by Sacramento Magazine. The full list of 2020 Top Lawyers will be featured in the August,
36 Weintraub Tobin Attorneys Named to 2020 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists; Retain Highest Percentage of Sacramento Top 25 List
Weintraub Tobin is pleased to announce that 36 Weintraub Tobin attorneys have been included on the 2020 Super Lawyers and Rising Star lists for outstanding attorneys in Northern California. In addition,
31 Weintraub Tobin Attorneys Named to 2019 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists
Weintraub Tobin is pleased to announce that more than 30 Weintraub Tobin attorneys have been included on the 2019 Super Lawyers and Rising Star lists for outstanding attorneys Northern California. In addition,
24 Weintraub Tobin Attorneys included in Sacramento Magazine’s Top Lawyers List 2019
Weintraub is pleased to announce that 24 of the firm’s attorneys have been recognized as 2019 Top Lawyers by Sacramento Magazine. The full list of 2019 Top Lawyers will be featured in the August,
24 Weintraub Tobin Attorneys included in Sacramento Magazine’s Top Lawyers List 2018
SACRAMENTO, California – July 19, 2018 – Weintraub Tobin Law Corporation congratulates its 24 attorneys who have been included in Sacramento Magazine’s 2018 Top Lawyer List. David Adams | Business/Corporate, Securities &
37 Weintraub Tobin Attorneys Named Among 2018 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Super Lawyers has released its Northern California, Southern California and San Diego lists of outstanding attorneys for 2018, on which 37 Weintraub Tobin attorneys have been included. Five Weintraub Tobin attorneys received special recognition as a Top 25 Sacramento Super Lawyer.
22 Weintraub Tobin Attorneys Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
SACRAMENTO, CA (August 7, 2017) – Weintraub Tobin, a leading California full-service law firm, is pleased to announce that 22 Weintraub Tobin attorneys are Martindale-Hubbell rated. Out of the 22 attorneys,
21 Weintraub Tobin Attorneys included in Sacramento Magazine’s Top Lawyers List 2017
SACRAMENTO, California – July 26, 2017 – Weintraub Tobin Law Corporation congratulates its 21 attorneys who have been included in Sacramento Magazine’s 2017 Top Lawyer List. Brendan Begley | Appellate Gary L.
36 Weintraub Tobin Attorneys Named Among 2017 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Super Lawyers has released its Northern California, Southern California, and San Diego lists of outstanding attorneys for 2017, on which 36 Weintraub Tobin attorneys have been included. Six Weintraub Tobin attorneys received special recognition as a Top 25 Sacramento Super Lawyer.
Weintraub Tobin Helps Grant Wishes
On June 13, Weintraub Tobin sponsored an event for Make-A-Wish Northeastern California and Northern Nevada. With over a hundred people in attendance, the event helped to raise funds to grant wishes for kids with life-threatening medical conditions.
Weintraub Tobin Raises Money for American Heart Association
Heart Walk Logo For a third year in a row, Weintraub Tobin is working to raise funds for cardiovascular diseases and stroke by partaking in the American Heart Association Heart Walk on Saturday,
It’s Official – Weintraub Merges with San Francisco Firm Tobin & Tobin
Weintraub Genshlea Chediak Law Corporation and Tobin & Tobin, a professional corporation, jointly announce the merger of their business law and litigation firms. The combined firm will be named Weintraub Genshlea Chediak Tobin &
Weintraub Firm Represents MOTO Development Group in Acquisition by Cisco Systems
Download: Kelso Press Release re MOTO Acquisition.pdf Weintraub Genshlea Chediak, a law firm based in Sacramento, California, recently represented its client MOTO Development Group, Inc., based in San Francisco, in connection with MOTO’s acquisition by Cisco Systems,
Weintraub Genshlea Chediak Announces New Los Angeles Office
Sacramento’s fifth-largest law firm quietly opened a branch in Los Angeles this week. Weintraub Genshlea Chediak Law Corp. has hired two litigators in an office on Wilshire Boulevard to solidify a toehold in the intellectual property,
Fourteen Weintraub Genshlea Chediak Attorneys Honored As 2009 Nor Cal Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
Fourteen Weintraub Genshlea Chediak Attorneys Honored as 2009 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars SACRAMENTO, Calif., July 21, 2009 –Weintraub Genshlea Chediak, a Sacramento-based business law and business litigation law firm congratulates its fourteen attorneys who were named as 2009 Northern California Super Lawyers and Rising Stars: Super Lawyers: Dale C.