Upcoming Seminar: The Ever Expanding Definition of “Protected Class” in Discrimination Claims
September 20 2012
Download: Protected Class.pdf
Summary of Program
When California passed the Fair Employment Practices Act in 1959, it prohibited employment discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin and ancestry. In 1980, California reorganized the state’s civil rights enforcement laws and mechanisms, enacting the Fair Employment and Housing Act. This new statute has been amended various times since then to include more and more classifications on which personnel decisions cannot be based. Moreover, it is vital for employers to understand and control who can be counted as a “supervisor” under antidiscrimination laws.
This informative seminar/webinar will cover the many classifications that are now protected, who is and is not a supervisor, and how employers can manage these ever-growing lists.
Some of the topics to be discussed include:
- Genetic information – the newest protected class (do any of us not have genetic information?);
- Sexual orientation and pregnancy (defining these classes can be tricky);
- Race and gender – the more traditional protected classes and new interpretations of them (do we all have a race or gender?);
- Religion – new developments to suggest this area is becoming more litigious;
- The invisible protected class – retaliation claims (how can you tell who is protected?); and
- The related topic of how to know and control who is a supervisor.
If you or your company have employees or applicants who fall into protected classes, this session is for you. Register today!
9:00 a.m. Registration and Breakfast
9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Seminar
Approved for 2.0 hours MCLE credit; HRCI credits available upon request. There is no charge for this seminar.
400 Capitol Mall, 11th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Parking validation provided. Please park in the Wells Fargo parking garage, entrances on 4th and 5th Street.
400 Capitol Mall, 11th Fl.
Sacramento, CA 95814
This seminar is also available via webinar. Please indicate in your RSVP if you will be attending via webinar.
To RSVP, Complete The Form Below