- Recruiting and hiring
- Employment agreements and compensation plans
- Protection of trade secrets
- Wage and hour laws
- Independent contractor status
- Performance standards and disciplinary actions
- Privacy rights
- Leaves of absence and reasonable accommodations
- Preventing discrimination, harassment, and retaliation
- Preventing and responding to theft and embezzlement
- Reductions in force, terminations, and layoffs
- Compliance with other state and federal employment laws
- Employment law due diligence – mergers and acquisitions
- AB 1825 sexual harassment prevention training and other supervisor best-practices training
Based on her many years of experience as an employment attorney and her specialized training and certification from Cornell University’s ILR School in employment mediation, Beth provides trusted and effective mediation services exclusively in the area of employment disputes. She can assist parties in resolving virtually every type of employment dispute – either pre or post-litigation.
Beth is a charter and sustaining member of the Association of Workplace Investigators (AWI) and has passed the rigorous test to obtain a certificate in workplace investigations from AWI. She conducts independent and neutral workplace investigations for both public and private employers.
Beth has years of experience representing employers in governmental audits and investigations and defending them in various forms of employment-related litigation in state and federal court, as well as before administrative tribunals.
- DOL, EEOC, DFEH, DLSE, EDD, CalOSHA, and OFCCP audits, investigations, and appeals
- Wage and hour claims
- Harassment, discrimination, retaliation claims
- Failure to reasonably accommodate claims
- FMLA/CFRA interference and retaliation claims
- Breach of contract claims
- Whistleblowing and wrongful termination claims
Disability Access Defense
Beth has extensive experience representing business owners and operators in ADA and California disability access cases.
- Representation of businesses in state and federal court
- Amicus curiae briefs for industry and business clients in important disability access cases before the California Supreme Court and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeal
Publications & Teaching Experience
Beth is active in supporting the education of employers and attorneys in the field of employment law.
- Co-author of the Lexis Nexis/Matthew Bender Treatise entitled, “California Leave Law: A Practical Guide for Employers.”
- Contributing editor to Chapter 10 (“Harassment”) and Chapter 12 (“Leaves of Absence”) of The Rutter Group’s “California Practice Guide: Employment Litigation.”
- A regular writer for Weintraub Tobin’s Labor and Employment Law Blog
- Instructor for UOP, McGeorge School of Law’s CLE course – “Elimination of Bias in the Practice of Law.”
- A regular speaker and trainer on employment law issues for various organizations in California
- Former adjunct professor of law at UOP, McGeorge School of Law
Community Involvement and Interests
- Hope Cooperative, Sacramento, President, Board of Directors
- Habitat for Humanity Global Village – Mekong Big Build in Phnom Penh, Cambodia 2013; Amarente Build in Portugal 2017; Argentina Build 2019.
- Sacramento Advocates for Girl Empowerment (SAGE) – outreach organization for underprivileged children
- Weintraub Tobin’s “Champions for Adoption” Team with Sierra Adoption Services (now Sierra Forever Families) to raise money to place foster children in loving adoptive homes
- Special Spaces volunteer – bedroom buildouts and makeovers for terminally or chronically ill children
- Former Yolo County Community Services Action Board Member
- In her free time, Beth enjoys traveling, cooking, hiking, running, and spending time with her family and friends
Below are a few of Beth’s representative cases:
- Bristow v. Dome Printing (Sacramento County Superior Court and Third District Court of Appeals)
Obtained summary judgment for the employer and defeated subsequent appeal in age discrimination and FMLA/CFRA violation case.
- Wilson v. Nimbus Winery (U.S. District Court for the Eastern District)
Obtained a full defense verdict at trial in an ADA and California disability access case.
- Vincent v. Grassland Water District (Merced County Superior Court)
Obtained summary judgment for employer in whistleblowing, retaliation, and wrongful termination case.
- Spinks v. E. J.’s Pizza (Sacramento County Superior Court)
Successfully defended and ultimately settled class action wage and hour lawsuit involving claims of unpaid overtime and missed meal and rest periods.
- Reynolds v. Covell Commons HOA (Yolo County Superior Court)
Obtained summary judgment for employer in hostile work environment, retaliation, and constructive discharge case.
- Agricultural and Post-Harvest Production
- Car Dealerships
- Entertainment and New Media
- High Tech and Solar Companies
- Manufacturing and Retail
- Medical Practices
- Non-Profit and Charitable Organizations
- Property Management Companies
- Property Owner Associations
- Professional Services Companies