Jacob C. Gonzales is a shareholder with Weintraub Tobin and head of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. He is an experienced and highly skilled business trial attorney. Jacob handles an extensive range of complex business litigation matters including disputes related to real estate, shareholder and derivative suits, breaches of fiduciary duty, corporate governance, trademark, employment and contract disputes.
- In 2016, he was co-counsel on a three-month arbitration and successfully defended against breaches of fiduciary claims by investors in real estate funds and separate tenant-in-common interests seeking in excess of $300 million.
- In 2015, he was successful in dismissing at the pleading stage a derivative lawsuit seeking in excess of $100 million.
- In 2015, he was successful in dismissing at the pleading stage over 18 causes of action asserted in related lawsuits brought by investors seeking in excess of $200 million, including breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract. Shortly thereafter, one of the cases settled.
- In 2014, he was co-counsel on a six week jury trial where Plaintiff sought to collect $60 million on a personal guaranty of a land development loan, and successfully defended the case so that Plaintiff was only awarded 20% of the amount it sought.
- In 2013, he was counsel on an appeal resulting in a landmark California Court of Appeal decision in the matter of Acquire II, LTD. v. Colton Real Estate Group (2013) 213 Cal.App.4th 959, overturning the trial court’s ruling and enforcing multiple arbitration agreements.
- In 2013, he settled a breach of guaranty action for less than $4 million where the lender sought in excess of $130 million.
- In 2012, he obtained an arbitration award on two separate actions for specific performance enforcing agreements to sell tenant-in-common investments concerning Orange County real estate funds.
- In 2011, he settled a breach of guaranty claim for less than $210,000 where the lender was seeking to collect in excess of $18.5 million.
- In 2010, as lead trial counsel, he obtained an 11-1 defense jury verdict on a breach of guaranty action where the plaintiff was attempting to collect in excess of $7.7 million. His client also received a significant attorneys’ fee award.
- In 2009, as co-trial counsel, he obtained a $2.3 million Plaintiff’s jury verdict on a breach of a commercial real estate lease.
Jacob is an Orange County native, and a graduate of Mater Dei High School.
Jacob has been recognized by Super Lawyers Magazine as a “Rising Star”- an honor reserved for the top 2.5% of lawyers in Southern California.